Putting Your License Back In Your Hands
A variety of situations can lead to a driver’s license suspension in Virginia; DUIs, failure to pay fines and a pileup of points on your license are a few of the most common. At Randall, Page & Bruch, P.C., we have handled just about every scenario that could lead to license suspension. We help clients prevent license suspension or shorten the duration of their suspension so they can get back on the road.
License Suspension In Virginia: What To Know
Suspension of a driver’s license is a fairly common penalty for various criminal offenses. The length of a suspension period depends on the charge. These are the following sentences you can expect for various civil or criminal offenses.
- Refusing a breath test: 12-month driver’s license suspension on a first offense if convicted and a three-year suspension for a second offense in ten years
- Purchasing or consuming alcohol under age 21: one year
- Driving under the influence (DUI): one to three years for a misdemeanor DUI
It is never a good idea to drive with a suspended license, even if you feel you need to. It can result in fines up to $2,500, up to one year in jail and a misdemeanor offense on your record.
How Can I Reinstate My License?
In some situations, the state offers the opportunities for offenders to get their licenses reinstated. However, you must complete several requirements based on your charges, such as:
- Attending driving classes
- Taking a driving test
- Enrolling in drug and alcohol treatment
- Proving that you have up-to-date insurance
- Paying DMV reinstatement fees
We are on your side when it comes to reinstating your license. Our lawyers know exactly which steps to take, which documents to file and how to help you get back behind the wheel.
Take The Steps To Get Your License Back
If you stand to lose your driving privileges or have already lost them, we can do everything in our power to help you. Contact one of our law offices in Southampton, Emporia, Brunswick or Suffolk to set up your free initial consultation. Call 757-742-6115 or send us an email today.