Defense Of Reckless Driving Charges In Emporia
If you or somebody you care about has been charged with reckless driving in Virginia, you need to turn to a skilled and experienced attorney to help with your case. Reckless driving charges are serious. Usually classified as misdemeanors, they may be classified as felonies in some cases and can result in significant penalties.
At Randall & Bruch, PC, our Virginia reckless driving defense attorneys will conduct a full investigation into your case and work to get the charges against you reduced or dismissed altogether.
Unlike most speeding tickets, which are considered administrative traffic infractions, reckless driving is treated as a criminal offense that can result in driver’s license suspensions, large fines and jail time.
If you have a commercial driver’s license (CDL), a conviction for reckless driving will almost certainly lead to a suspension or revocation of your CDL. In some jurisdictions, you are required to appear in court before the judge will hear the case. Some states will suspend your license if you are convicted of reckless driving in Virginia.
To summarize the characteristics of reckless driving in Virginia:
- It is a misdemeanor or a Class 6 felony, not simply a traffic citation.
- For drivers licensed in Virginia, it carries six demerit points.
- It carries a maximum fine of $2,500.
- It can lead to a six-month driver’s license suspension.
- It can lead to twelve months in jail, or if charged as a felony, one to five years in jail or prison.
Examples Of Reckless Driving Offenses In Virginia
Examples of misdemeanor reckless driving charges include:
- Driving in such as way as to endanger others
- Failure to signal or yield right of way
- Passing on the crest of a grade
- Driving with one’s view impaired
- Driving too fast for the conditions
- Driving hazardously in a parking lot
Reckless driving may be considered a felony in Virginia if the accused was driving while their license is suspended due to a moving violation, or if they caused someone’s death by driving recklessly.
Our attorneys have handled countless reckless driving cases related to speeding and other behaviors. If at all possible, we will diligently work to get your case dismissed or reduced to a less serious charge such as a regular speeding ticket or defective equipment, a non-moving violation.
Let Us Get Started Defending You With A Free Initial Consultation
At Randall & Bruch, PC, our Virginia reckless driving attorneys will conduct a complete investigation into the charges levied against you as they build the best defense strategy possible for your situation.