Randall, Page & Bruch, P.C. – Attorneys at Law

Violent Crime In Virginia – How Dangerous Is Your City?

Randall, Page & Bruch, P.C.

Overall, the news about crime in Virginia is generally good. Since 2014, the state’s crime rate has decreased by over 13%. The crime rate in Virginia is 35% less than the national average and 37 states have a higher crime rate. Property crimes account for 89% of the crimes committed in Virginia – leaving violent crime just 11% of the state’s total crimes. But like any state, there are certain areas in Virginia that tend to have higher incidents of criminal activity.

The Virginia criminal defense attorneys at Randall, Page & Bruch, P.C., understand the serious nature of criminal charges and we provide our clients with the most comprehensive defense that the law allows.

5 Virginia Cities with the Highest Rates of Crime

Most cities have places that are relatively free of crime and also some areas that tend to be more prone to criminal activity. The cities in Virginia with the highest rates of crime each are also credited with some very positive attributes.

  1. Portsmouth – Portsmouth has less than 100,000 people but their crime rate is over 200% greater than the average crime rate for Virginia. You have a 1 in 16 chance of being a crime victim in Portsmouth.
  2. Danville – Danville’s population is less than half of Portsmouth’s but the murder rate is almost double. The crime rate in Danville is 80% higher than the national average.
  3. Richmond – Richmond is the 5th largest city in Virginia but has almost 50% fewer incidents of violent crime than Danville (the 28th largest city). While the crime rate in Richmond is still 60% higher than average in Virginia, it has been decreasing steadily in recent years.
  4. Roanoke – Crime in Roanoke is 145% higher than the average rate for Virginia. In a town of roughly 100,000, you have a 1 in 249 chance of being a victim of a violent crime.
  5. Galax – It may come as a surprise to many Virginians that the tiny town of Galax, with a population under 7,000, has a crime rate 50% higher than the national average.

Violent Crimes Committed in Virginia

The category of violent crime includes the crimes of aggravated assault, robbery, rape, and murder. Virginia law enforcement reported 17,753 violent crimes in 2019 – the 6th lowest total in the nation. As is true across the US, the least violent crimes are committed more frequently than the most violent crimes.

  • Aggravated Assault – Aggravated assault is the most frequently committed violent crime in Virginia.
  • Robbery – The robbery rate in Virginia is 50% less than the national average.
  • Rape – Virginia has the 9th lowest rate of rape in the nation.
  • Murder – Murders in Virginia are equal to the national average and the state is 20th in numbers of murders per 100,000 people.

At Randall, Page & Bruch, P.C., we find it encouraging that our state’s crime rate is going down and we continue to have less crime than most other states. However, crimes still occur in Virginia, and those who are charged with crimes are legally entitled to defend the charges. Our Virginia criminal defense lawyers believe in freedom and justice and the right to a thorough, competent defense for every person who is accused of a crime.

If you are facing criminal charges in the Western Tidewater and surrounding areas you have a lot at stake. Your legal defense is only as good as the attorneys you choose to work with. For a free consultation with a defense attorney from a trusted firm with over 70 years of experience, click here to contact us or call our office at 757-517-8956.

What Our Clients are Saying
Harris P